Most Important things you should know about CBSE Improvement Exam

Q.1: What is the eligibility criteria for a student to appear as a private candidate in Board examination?
Ans: The Board prescribes following conditions under which a candidate can appear privately: –

  1. Failed candidates
  2. Teachers serving in educational institutions
  3. Women candidates who are bonafide residents of NCT of Delhi and
  4. Physically handicapped students

Q.2: Is it possible for a student who has failed in Science stream in Class XII to change subjects to pass at subsequent examination?
Ans: Yes, but with prior permission of the Board.

Q.3: I appeared in the compartment examination in July-August, but failed again, do I now have to re-appear in all subjects again?
Ans: The Board gives three chances to clear the compartment examination. The first examination is held in July-August followed by second chance in March-April and the third chance in July-August. Unsuccessful candidates after these three attempts are required to appear afresh in all subjects there on.

Q.4: I wish to improve my performance in Chemistry and Maths. Is it possible and how?
Ans: A candidate who has passed Class X or XII examination of the Board may re-appear for improvement of performance in one or more subjects in the main examination in the succeeding year only. The candidate may appear privately; those re-appearing for whole examination can also appear as regular candidate if admitted by the school.

  • For subjects involving practical work, if the candidate has passed the practical examination, he or she will be allowed to appear only in theory part.
  • Only a statement of marks is issued by the Board after the improvement of performance.

Q.5: Is it compulsory to pass in theory and practical exams. Separately?
Ans: Yes, it is compulsory to pass separately in the subjects involving theory and practical in Class XII.

Q.6: Is a student required to appear in all subjects in improvement examination?
Ans: No, the student can appear in one or more than one subject(s) as per his/her choice. However, improvement exam. can be taken only in the successive year of passing Class X/XII exams.

Q.7: Is the candidate allowed to see the answer script in case the result is not as per the expectations?
Ans: No. There is no provision of showing answer scripts. The candidate can apply for scrutiny, for reconfirmation of marks.

Q.8 If a candidate passes in the additional subject but fails in one of the main subjects, what will the result show?
Ans: The candidate will be considered as having passed the examination in such a case. A language will replace a language only. For further details the scheme of examinations can be referred to.

Q. 9: What is the procedure followed in marking the answers?
Ans: Each answer is divided into steps and marks are given in accordance to the weightage assigned for these steps. It is advised that a copy of Marking Scheme be procured to get a clear idea.

Q.10: The result of Patrachar candidates is always very poor, is the evaluation of private/patrachar candidates different from that of regular candidates?
Ans: There is no difference in the evaluation procedures. However, it depends entirely on the level of preparation and performance of individual candidates irrespective of their status.

Q. 11: Can a candidate simultaneously appear for Improvement as well as Additional subject examination?
Ans: No, a candidate appearing for Improvement in one or more subjects cannot appear for additional subject examination simultaneously.

Q. 12: How many times can a candidate appear for Improvement or additional subject examination?
Ans: For improvement examination only one chance in the succeeding year is permitted, and for the additional subject, the candidate may appear within 6 years of passing the Main examination.

Q. 13: What is the procedure to apply for Improvement or Additional Examination?
Ans: The admission forms for improvement or additional examination are available in the month of August every year. The examination is held along with the main examination in the month of March/April in the following year. Outstation candidates can contact their respective regional offices for the same.

Q. 14: Is a consolidated or combined Marks Statement issued after improvement or additional examination?

  1. After improvement a consolidated marks statement reflecting the marks of main examination and improvement examination is issued.
  2. But for additional subject examination, marks statement in the concerned subject only is issued.
  3. In case of compartment examination a fresh marks statement is issued if the student passes that subject.

Q. 15: What is the pass criteria for Class X and XII?
Ans: A candidate has to pass in all five subjects to be declared Pass. However, for class X a candidate is placed in compartment up to two unqualified subjects and if he fails in one subject in Class XII the candidate is placed in compartment.

Q. 16: Can one appear for improvement exam along with the compartment. Exam conducted by the Board in the month of July/August?
Ans: No, a candidate can appear for improvement exam only in the very next year of passing the main exam in March.

Click here for further important points and FAQ’s.

429 comments / queries on “Most Important things you should know about CBSE Improvement Exam

  1. sir!!! have appeared in improvement exam this year. but unfortunately i have improved in only in two subjets & in rest three subjects got lesser marks than previous year, and overall scored lesser marks as comparitively to the previous year marks. sir please tell me the marks which i improved this year would be added to the previous year marksheet OR not…

  2. sir,recently i gave improvement exam .On 21 of may result was declared ,but i was totally disappointed with my marks . So, is it possible to give improvement exam again

  3. Sir,
    I got 68.2 percentage in 12th board cbse ,I qualified for jee main but I got 7 marks in maths in cbse board with i get admission in NIT colleges.

  4. What if i in improvement exams i score less marks than my previous board exams then in that case which marks will be counted improvement score or previous exams in which i scored more?

  5. I passed 12th CBSE 2016 with less than 75% marks. I want appear for improvement exam. Will I appear to all five subject or two subject to attend JEE Mains

    1. well cbse gives you a fair option. it’s on you whether you wish to fill improvement for one subject , two ,three or for every subject but if you want to reappear for jee mains you have to give improvement in all five subjects

    1. You have both the options for giving an exam next year. The thing is to appear as a regular student you will have to take permission from cbse whereas to appear as a private candidate you just have to fill the form.

  6. Sir,
    I have passed all the 5 subjects and want to regive an exam in the following year 2017. So the query is- do i have to create a new registration or the previous one will work? please help.

    Thank you.

  7. I got compartment in Social science in X (March 2016). I appeared again in the retest in July but could not pass the exam In NON-board pattern from a school.
    Can I get one more chance of appearing in SST(only) as a private candidate through CBSE?
    Please answer fast as the time to fill the application is getting over fast.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Security Question * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload the CAPTCHA.